NUI Galway Students' Union Movember Campaign 2010: Changing the Face of Men's Health
The End of the MO
Grand Finale Party
8pm MOnday 29th MOvember
In Mo's Tavern (The College Bar)
Crowning the NUIG Man of Movember
Live music from Go Panda Go & Lost Chord
Donations on the door to the Irish Cancer Society's Action Prostate Cancer Programme
- Mo = Slang for moustache
- Movember = the month formerly known as November
- Movember is an annual, month-long charity event held during November where guys grow a moustache
- The moustache is our ribbon, it's the vehicle we use to raise essential awareness and funds for men's health causes
- In 2003, 30 Mo Bros took part in Movember. In 2009, 253,843 Mo Bros & Sistas came together as Citizens of Movember around the world, raising more than €32.9 million for Movember's global beneficiary partners.
- Last year in Ireland, 6,682 Mo Bros and Sistas raised over €1 million for Action Prostate Cancer a programme of the Irish Cancer Society.
- To date Movember has raised more than €73,488, 268 million globally for the fight against prostate cancer, testicular cancer and depression in men.
- However we look at it, men are far less health conscious than women.
- The average life expectancy for men is around five years less than women.
- Men have a "head in the sand" attitude and are reluctant to see a doctor about an illness or to go for regular medical checks - this attitude denies many men the chance of early detection and prevention of common diseases.
- Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in Irish men.
- The most recent data shows that there were 2,758 new cases of prostate cancer diagnosed in Ireland in 2009.
The Rules of Movember:
1. Register online from Mid-October before Movember starts at http://ie.movember.com/mospace/559972/ and join the NUI Galway Students' Union team so we can become the hairiest college in Ireland. We need all students, staff, Class Reps, clubs, societies, friends and neighbours to take part.
2. Once registered, each Mo Bro must start the 1st of Movember clean shaven - no head starts! We will be holding a "Clean Shave" Party in the College Bar on Monday 1st of Movember as part of Healthy Living Week with DJs, Bands and most importantly Barbers!
3. Then, for the entire month of Movember each Mo Bro must grow and groom a moustache according to Mo Bro Law:
- There is to be no joining the mo to the side burns. That's a beard.
- There is to be no joining the handlebars on the chin. That's a goatee.
- A small complementary growth under the bottom lip is allowed (AKA The Tickler).
4. Spread the word throughout Movember using your Mo Space account and raising money as you develop your Mo.
5. Attend the NUI Galway Official Movember Gala Parté on Monday 29th of Movember in the College Bar where we will be crowning the Man of Movember and Miss Movember for NUI Galway.
6. As well as raising money for a great cause you will have a great new hobby growing and grooming your moustache during Movember. There are also chances to win loads of great prizes for the biggest fundraisers and other Mo-related activities.
For more information about Movember go to www.movember.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org