Other Financial Support

There are a variety of other supports available to thrid level students. These include Higher Education Grants awarded by local authorities (County Councils). Information on these grants is available in the Academic section elsewhere in this diary.

Students who are in need of additional assistance in completing further and/or higher education studies may apply to the Partnership or Community Group in the area where they have been awarded a Local Authority or VEC grant to obtain the Millenium Partnership Fund. This may help with costs related to participation and study supports.

Bank of Ireland also awards funding from its Millennium Scholars Trust. The Trust awards scholarships to people with talent and ability who, because of economic circumstances or other barriers such as disability, are prevented from reaching their full educational potential. For students paying tuition fees, tax relief is available. Further details on funding available to students can be sought from the Students' Union Vice-President / Welfare Officer.

Social Welfare

You are not entitled to the dole if you are in full-time education. However, mature students may be entitled to a Back to Education Allowance. Where you are under 19 and in full-time education, your parents are still entitled to claim child benefit for you. Students with children may be netitled to Child Benefit and One-Parent Family Allowance depending on circumstances. If you are having difficulty obtaining maintenance from your child's other parent you should contact your Community Welfare Officer. Rent supplement is available for those who cannot provide for the cost of their accommodation from their own resources. If you are concerned about the impact of third level education on benefits you receive you can contact your social welfare officec. The nearest offices are located in the Hynes Building, Augustine St just off Eyre Square and over the Aldi store in Westside.

Medical Card

A medical card enables the bearer to receive certain health services free of charge. Each Health Service Executive Area issues cards. Full-time students aged 16-25 who are financially dependent on their parents will only be entitled to a medical card if their parents hold a medical card. A student in receipt of Disability Allowance will generally be entitled to a medical card. Financially independent students who satisfy a means test may be entitled to a medical card. The weekly income limit is €184 per week for a single person living away from home. This is calculated at gross income less PRSI and certain specified expenses such as rent and childcare. These income limits are revised in January. If you have a medical card, you are entitled to free GP (family doctor) services; prescribed drugs and medicines (with some excpetions); in-patient public hospital services; out-patient services, dental, optical and aural services;medical appliances; maternity.

You can download an application form here .
Don't forget that most services in the Student Health Unit in Áras na Mac Léinn are free of charge!

Contact Us

Students' Union,
Áras na Mac Léinn,
NUI Galway,
Galway, Ireland.

+353 (0)91 524810
Mon - Fri, 10:00am to 5.00pm